In 1935, John Michener rallied a group of educators in Wichita to contribute a few dollars each to secure a loan for a struggling teacher.
This event inspired Michener, who was the head of the science department at Wichita East High School at the time, to start his own credit union for fellow educators. Wichita City Teachers Credit Union was chartered later that year.
It quickly outgrew Michener’s shared office and moved to a closet under the east stairwell of the school’s first floor before the first official branch location could be established.
In 1974, the credit union’s name was changed to Credit Union of America (CUA). This reflected the opening of its membership to other professions and members across the country. Today, CUA has several branch locations throughout central Kansas.
CUA is truly owned and operated by its members. Our board of directors and supervisory committee are comprised of members who volunteer to guide CUA’s staff.
These volunteers are elected by the membership on a yearly basis with three-year terms. Their role is to set general direction and policy to ensure that the credit union is well managed, in compliance with regulatory requirements, and financially secure.
View the 2021 Annual Report